OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
Office and Desktop Publishing Software
Page Layout Tools
- OpenOffice -- Complete Office suite including word processor, spreadsheet, presentations, graphics, databases, and math equations.
- LibreOffice -- Brother of OpenOffice and perhaps more actively developed.
- Calligra -- Complete office suite.
- Google Docs -- Complete office suite available with web interface. Excellent for collaboration.
Gantt Chart Tools
- Strut -- More traditional presentation software.
- ProjectLibre -- Open source alternative to Microsoft Project.
- GanttProject -- Desktop tool for project scheduling and management.
- OpenProject -- Project collaboration with open source.
- Scribus -- Page layout tool.
- Doodle -- Easy scheduling tool.
- PDFedit -- Editor and library for manipulating PDF documents.
- PDF Merge -- Web tool to merge multiple PDF files into a single PDF file.
- HTML PDF -- Web tool to convert web pages to PDF files.
Specialized Graphics Tools
- GIMP -- Photoshop like image manipulation program.
- Inkscape -- Illustrator like vector graphics editor.
- Paint.NET -- Simple paint program with more features than MS Paint.
- Krita -- Photoshop like art program.
- Open Stereogram -- Generates stereograms (dotted and textured) with many customization options.
- Blender -- 3D art and animation software.
- Open Stereogram -- Generates stereograms (dotted and textured) with many customization options.
- Audacity -- Excellent sound file editor.
Free Photoshop Resources
- Lightworks -- Video editor.
- Jahshaka -- Video composing, editing, and special effects.
- VideoLAN Movie Creator -- Nonlinear editing software for video creation.
- MPEG Streamclip -- Simple movie editor and converter.
- HandBrake -- Convert from nearly any video format to a section of modern, widely supported codecs. DVD ripping.
- MiroVideoConverter -- Convert almost any video to popular formats
- WinFF -- Supports conversion of multiple videos all at once.
- Format Factory -- Convert videos, audio, and pictures. Repair damaged video and audio. DVD ripper.
- Freemake Video Converter -- Convert to and from virtually any video format including online video. Great program, but loaded with addware.
- SUPER Converter -- Comprehensive list of formats and options, but with a steep learning curve. Converter, player, and recorder.
- FFmpeg -- Record, convert, and stream audio and video.
- VLC Media Player -- Robust player of virtually any format.
- EZGIF>COM -- Web based tool for converting video files to GIF animations.
- Brusheezy -- Free photoshop brushes and PSD files.
- Publish or Perish -- Program to calcualte citation indices in order to quantify the impact of your research.
- Synergy -- Software for sharing one mouse and keyboard between multiple computers.
- CamStudio -- Able to record all screen and audio activity and create AVI videos. Be careful about adware during installation.
- Open Broadcaster -- screencasting and video streaming.
- Debut -- Record video from a webcam, recording device, or screen. Includes some editing capability.
- Icecream Screen Recorder -- Capture any area of your screen as either a screenshot or a video file.
- ActivePresenter -- Record your screen along with audio. Includes editing.
- Defraggler -- Defragments your entire hard drive or just individual folders.
- 7zip -- Pakcing and unpacking of various compression formats.
- Sverchok -- Parametric tool for architecture and design. Lets you program object's form without knowing programming languages.
- Tissue -- Computational geometry capable of producing very complex designs.
Surface Modeling CAD Tools
Artistic Modeling and CAD Tools
- FreeCAD -- Parametric 3D modeler with good import/export.
- Salome -- Open source CAD and integration platform for numerical simulation.
- BRL-CAD -- Cross-platform and open source solid modeling system with ray tracing.
- Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express -- 3D design and modeling.
- DesignSpark Mechanical -- 3D design and modeling.
- Heeks CAD/CAM -- 3D design and modeling and generation of g-code for manufacturing.
- ImplicitCAD -- Web based 3D CAD with script interface.
- CoffeeSCad -- Web based 3D CAD with script interface.
- OpenSCAD -- 3D CAD with a scripting interface.
- OpenJSCAD -- A completely web based 3D CAD with a scripting interface.
- PythonOCC -- 3D CAD development environment for python programming language.
Other Modeling and CAD Tools
CAD Viewers and Data Visualization
- Blender -- Powerful 3D surface modeler, scene renderer, movie editor, and animation creator.
- MeshMixer -- Good tool for combining STL files and for artistic editing of files.
- Seamless3D -- 3D modeling and animation tool from MIT.
- K-3D -- Freeform 3D modeling and animation software, but no rendering.
Circuit Design and Layout
- STLView -- A free STL viewer with touch-screen capability.
- eDrawings Viewer -- Viewer software for SolidWorks, DWG, and DXF files.
- Visit -- Interactive parallel visualization and graphical analysis tool for viewing scientific data.
Mesh Generation and Manipulation
- Open Circuit Design Suite -- Open-source EDA (Electronic Design Automation) tools including Magic, IRSIM, Netgen, PCB, and XCircuit.
- EasyEDA -- Web-based EDA tool.
- KiCad EDA -- A cross platform and open source electronics design automation suite. Includes schematic capture, PCB layout, and 3D viewer.
- ExpressPCB -- Free PCB schematic and layout software. Low cost manufacturing along with it.
- FreePCB -- Free, open-source PCB editor. Up to 16 copper layers, but no autorouting.
- FreeRouting -- Free tool for autorouting PCBs.
- TinyCAD -- Open source schematic capture software.
- DesignSpark PCB -- Free software for schematic capture and layout.
- gEDA -- Open source suite and toolkit for circuit design, schematic capture, simulation, prototyping, and production.
- pcbWEB -- Free CAD application for designing and manufacturing electronics software.
- ZenitPCB -- Free PCB layout.
- SoloPCB -- Free PCB design software including schematic capture, PCB layout, and integrated autorouting.
- LayoutEditor -- Free software to edit designs for MEMS and IC fabrication, PCB, multichip modules, and more.
- LTspice -- Free high-performance spice simulator.
Free Models and More
- MeshLab -- for manipulating surface meshes with GUI.
- CUBIT -- a full-featured software toolkit for robust generation of two- and three-dimensional finite element meshes (grids) and geometry preparation.
- Instant-Meshes -- Interactive field-aligned mesh generator.
- libigl -- Simple C++ geometry processing library.
- gptoolbox -- Geometry processing toolbox for MATLAB.
- Gmsh -- A 3D FEM mesh generator with built-in pre- and post-processing capabilities. Simple to use.
- NETGEN -- Automatic 3D tetrhedral mesh generator from a CAD file.
- TetGen -- A quality tetrahedral mesh generator and a 3D Delaunay triangulator.
- CGAL -- Collection of geometric algorithms in C++ library.
- MOAB -- Library of routines for meshes including parallel mesh generation.
- TetMesh -- Automatically meshes a volume with an unstructured tetrahedral mesh.
- OpenCSG -- Models complex solid 3D shapes by combining simpler ones.
- ISO2MESH -- Matlab/Octave-based mesh generation and processing toolbox.
- yobi3D -- Free 3D Models Search Engine. WARNING -- Tool does find models behind pay walls.
- Thingiverse -- Free 3D models, primarily intended for 3D printing.
Electromagnetic Simulation Software
Finite Element Analysis
- Meep -- FDTD package from MIT that supports parallel processing. No GUI.
- gprMax -- 3D FDTD package desgigned for ground penetrating radar, but can do much more. Flexible script interface and supports parallel processing.
- Angora -- Powerful FDTD package with text interface.
- emGine -- FDTD package with GUI.
- EM Explorer -- 3D FDTD package with GUI.
- openEMS -- 3D FDTD package with GUI.
Method of Moments
- OpenFOAM -- Multiphysics FEM package with GUI.
- MaxFEM -- FEM package with GUI.
- FEMM -- FEM package with GUI.
- Elmer -- Multiphysics FEM package with GUI.
- Fenics Project -- Collection of software for automated, efficient solution of differential equations.
- freeFEM -- PDE solver with its own scripting language. Multiphysics, nonlinear, 2D, and 3D.
- 4NEC2 -- NEC based antenna modeler and optimizer.
- NEC-2 -- Method of moments engine with text punchcard interface.
- MMANA-GAL -- Method of moments solver with GUI.
- EMCoS Antenna VLab -- Free student version of MoM software with GUI.
- EM3DS -- Excellent integral equation solver with GUI.
- GLMoM -- Method of moments EM field simulator with GUI.
- newFASANT -- Free student version of MoM based antenna and RCS calculator with GUI.
- MIT Photonic-Bands -- PWEM package from MIT. No GUI.
- MaxwellFDFD -- MATLAB-based package that solves frequency-domain Maxwell's equations using the finite-difference frequency-domain technique.
- S4 -- Fourier model method (RCWA) based on scattering matrices. Text based interface using Lua or Python
- CAMFR -- Full-vectorial Maxwell solver based on the method of lines (i.e. eigen-mode expansion).
- MMTL -- Multilayer multiconductor transmission line modeling suite.
- Pic2Mag -- You draw magnets on the screen and Pic2Mag draws the magnetic lines.
- FastHenry2, FastCap2, & FastModel -- Fast inductance and capactiance solves with GUI.
- Qucs -- Quite universal circuit simulator with GUI.
- OpenFilters -- Design and optimization tools for optical interference coatings.
- BEAM FOUR -- Ray tracing and open source.
- Opus -- Software application for designing and evaluating optical systems.
- OptoCAD -- Tracing Gaussian TEM00 beams through an optical set-up.
- OpenRayTrace -- Optical lens design software that performs ray tracing. It is built using python, wxPython, and PyOpenGL.
- Goptical -- GNU Optical design and simulation library.
- WinLens3D Basic -- Serious design and analysis tools for optical engineer, student or designer.
- OpticalRayTracer -- A powerful, Java-based virtual optical bench.
- ONELAB -- Lightweight interface to finite element software.
- Salome -- Open source CAD and front end for numerical simulation.
Python Programming Language
Julia Programming Language
(Walks like Python. Runs like C.)
Other Mathematics Programming Tools
Lower Level Programming
- deal.II -- An open source finite element library.
- wxMaxima -- Document based interface for computer algebra system Maxima.
- Mathics -- Web based computer algebra system featuring Mathematica compatible syntax and functions.
- R -- A programming language for statistics and data visualization.
- Sage -- Mathematics software.
- Jupyter -- Interactive data science and scientific computing across over 40 programming languages.
- Processing -- Flexible software sketchbook for learning how to code within the context of the visual arts.
- Eclipse -- Complete integrated development environment (IDE) for a variety of languages.
- Pelles C -- A complete development kit for Windows including an optimizing C compiler, a macro assembler, a linker, a resource compiler, a message compiler, a code signing utility, a make utility and an install builder. It comes with an integrated development environment (IDE) with project management, debugger, profiler, source code editor, and resource editors for dialogs, menus, string tables, accelerator tables, bitmaps, icons, cursors, animated cursors, animation videos (AVI's without sound), versions and XP manifests.
- Open CASCADE -- Software development platform in C++ that includes 3D surface and solid modeling, visualization and more.
Mesh Repair Tools
Slicers and G-Code Generators
- MeshLab -- A powerful tool for manipulating and repairing meshes.
- NetFabb Basic -- Mesh viewer and automatic repair.
- FreeCAD -- Parametric 3D modeler with STL check and repair.
- Microsoft Model Repair -- Completely automated web-based STL repair tool.
- MeshFix -- Lightweight mesh repair tool.
- ReMESH -- Interactive mesh repair tool.
- Slic3r -- slicer for 3D printing and g-code generation.
- Cura -- Prepars models for 3D printing by Ultimaker.
- GpxUi -- a post processing utilityfor converting gcode output from slicing software to x3g files for standalone printing on Makerbot, ThingOMatic, and Replicator 1/2/2x printers.
- Repetier-Host -- GUI for arranging models, slicing, g-code generation, and print monitoring.
- MatterControl -- Powerful program with user definable presets.
- yeggi -- Search engine for 3D printable models.
- Thingiverse -- Large library of 3D models. Run by Makerbot.
- YouMagine -- Website to share and collaborate 3D print designs. Run by Ultimaker.
- My Mini Factory -- Website to buy parts and download STL files. Run by iMakr.
- pinshape -- Find, share, and sell 3D print files.
- GrabCAD -- Lots of free CAD files mainly for mechanical engineers to design faster.
- 3DVia -- Community of 3D models.
- Cubehero -- GitHub for 3D printing. Can also request files.
- Repables -- Simple site for exchanging 3D print files.
- Libre 3D -- Website devoted to keeping 3D printing open source.